Sunday, June 24, 2007

What is Illegal Immigration to Me?

Is the Illegal Immigration Issue really that black and white? I see valid arguments, along with hypocrisy and spin on both sides.

To be honest, my "soft" original position was against Illegal Immigration. Like most Americans, I was upset when I watched the surveillance videos showing Mexican citizens illegally crossing the border in mass. In many cases, some of them was literally "breaking into" our country by attempting to drive a car through the border entrances, climb over fences, or perform their infamous "banzai charge".

I'm not a hypocrite on the issue. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, I would attempt to cross the border and seek a better quality of life for my loved ones and me as well. And I cannot deny the fact that technically, we're ALL illegal immigrants (except for the Africans who came as cargo), even though we have significantly altered history to reflect the myth that the Pilgrims "discovered and settled" in America instead of the factual "conquered and colonized". But this is America and I'm an American, history is just a thing of the past (until "blowback" occurs) and doesn't excuse illegal immigration in the present;-). Today's illegal immigrants are breaking the law. Bottom line, if a civilized society did not enforce its laws, then chaos would ensue and the society would collapse. My best analogy is that if I have a refrigerator full of food, and can afford to waste some of it, that doesn't give a starving person the right to break into my house and feed themselves. Those who are poor can't rob a bank, and those who are homeless can't "discover and settle" into the Playboy Mansion. The citizens of each nation have to respect the physical and invisible boundaries at all times.

Believe it or not, less than a year ago I was a Lou Dobbs Democrat even though I did not have a solid answer to do with the 12 million illegals that are already here. And believe it or not, the Clown Emperor himself, Bill O'Reilly, actually provided me with absolute clarity on this issue. He basically stated something to the effect of, "It is wrong to allow the Mexican immigrants into this country and profit from their labor, then send them back when we grow tired of their presence." To me, he was absolutely right. It is without question that there is this "understanding" between big business and illegal immigrants that if the "illegals" can clear the barriers to entry, there is a job waiting for them on the other side. This understanding is shared and practiced by many members of the Federal government, local governments, small businesses and individual citizens. It is morally and ethically wrong to knowingly allow this "understanding" to persist at the expense of the Mexican citizens that illegally cross our borders for a better way of life.

Those two factors are what have shaped my ultimate position: "Secure the borders against future illegal immigration, but give amnesty to those law abiding illegal immigrants from who's labor we have benefited." I know that is a position that isn't often stated. I'm with the Republicans in the House who are against a "comprehensive reform" bill and want to secure the borders first. But I am with the Democrats in the Senate who wants to offer amnesty (or a path to citizenship as they call it) to those 12 million+ who are already here. But the devil is in my details.


If you ever question the policies and practices of a sitting American President, his (or her one day) will always ask "Do you think you can do better?" Well, I can't navigate the D.C. corridors like a political veteran, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night ;-) So I'll give it a shot, let the experts debate, and let history be the judge.


My Plan to Secure the Borders First:

Let's be realistic. The Mexico-U.S. border is approximately 1,951 miles. To build a true and effective physical barrier, it would be the equivalent rebuilding half of the Great Wall of China. Theoretically speaking, if we build a 10-foot wall, the "illegals" will build a 11-foot ladder. Even if it was feasible to build a physical barrier, it would be impossible to physically monitor all of it at all times to truly discourage and prevent breaches. I can go along with those in Congress who represent districts along the border that would like reinforced physical barriers placed along the border of large cities to reduce the flow of narcotics and criminals. But still, that is only a band-aid over a bullet wound. The last time I checked, we were losing the War Against Drugs 181-to-20 with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. In my opinion, any person with sincere passion and effort can find their way over, around or under any physical barrier(s) we build. And there simply aren't enough law enforcement, military or civilian available to monitor it.

There is ONLY one true way to secure the border from this form (those looking for professional opportunities) of Mexican Illegal Immigration. YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF THE MAGNET. The magnet are those employers who are willing and able to hire illegal immigrants because of the guaranteed cheap labor. As many pundits point out, even if they do argue for increased wages, the employer can simply ignore them and threaten to have them deported if they don't behave. That, ladies and gentlemen, is CORPORATE SLAVERY IN THE 21st CENTURY. Haven't we all read this chapter of American history before? Just replace the Mexicans with Africans, and "low wages" with "no wages". But I digress.

Willie Sutton, a bank robber, was once asked this question: "Why did you rob banks?" His answer: "Because that's where the money was." I believe the "illegals" break into America because that's where the jobs are! If you restrict their access to jobs, they won't break into America.....at least for that reason. How do you restrict their access to jobs? First, You can start by enforcing the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Specifically the parts that penalize and criminalize the employers that employ illegal immigrants. I know it'll never happen as long as Corporate America finance politics, but it's what has to happen to "turn off the magnet". Second, create a tamper proof National ID card that will actually gives those employers who want to follow the law an effective tool to verify who is authorized to work in this country and who is not. I know the ACLU is going to attack me for supporting that idea, but I have "blind faith" that we can have a National ID program that won't turn us into a Communist state. Outside of assisting with employment verification, it can assist local law enforcement, national security, and prevent voter fraud on both sides. And before you start believing I want to restrict voting by supporting a ID to vote, please remember that I believe convicted felons who have served their time should be allowed to vote, and every state should allow authorized voters to register through election day as that statistically increases turnout.


My Plan to Assimilate the 12 Million Illegal Immigrants Here

After the opportunity is eliminated and the borders are "theoretically" secure, I would give every illegal immigrant employee and their employer 90-days to declare their status and decide whether they intend to remain in the United States or voluntarily return home at their own expense.  Those who will stay should go through the traditional immigration programs and process to become legal American citizens.  There some be some type of extended transitional program because I'm sure it will take extra effort to have them transition from the "shadow world" to the real world.  And that's basically it.  I told you that my plan was a real amnesty plan.  I wouldn't even call it amnesty because in legal terms, I believe that Corporate America engages in a form of "entrapment".  The intent of those Illegal Immigrants who broke into the country looking for a job didn't intend to break the law anymore than husband who breaks the speed limit to get his pregnant wife to the hospital.  

In terms of the employer, I don't believe they should have to pay a fine because they will be penalized by having to pay legal working wages.  I'm sure that once the law took effect, many of the companies would start "liquidating" staff.  The problem with any potential amnesty program is that there would be a requirement to increase their wages because it is driving down the wages of other low income workers within the same industries.  This may be a VERY DIFFICULT challenge to navigate because most employers may start liquidating the minute they smell a provision to bring the wages of illegal immigrants up to par with legal citizens.  So you risk having a amnesty bill that legalizes potentially millions of displaced workers who may not be able to find suitable unemployment because of their lack of education and failure to prove job history.  A federal welfare-to-work program would have so little support that it wouldn't be feasible.  This is where, as President of the United States, I would have to defer to my smarter staff. ;-)

Bottom line, I believe the "guest worker program" that Bush and some Democrats are proposing is worse than the current policy of doing nothing.  We would only go one small step beyond Corporate Slavery and create a Federally-sponsored under-class.  There would be rich, middle class, poor and guest worker poor.  That would be the polar opposite of the CEO pay issue where they are paid too much in relation to their company's performance.  The company would save millions of dollars over time while the "guest workers" would make a little more than minimum wage.  Like I said, I've read this story before and I know how it will end.  Sooner or later, they will get tired of the exploitation and fight for equal rights.  Even under the current system this is bound to happen.  The U.S. will be a minority-majority country by 2050 and I doubt legal Mexican citizens would continue to allow the exploitation of their sisters and brothers when they will have the physical numbers to do something about it.  The current Immigration plan being pushed is only another Bush administration "surge", it is not a solution.   






No comments: